The Stephanie Byars Memorial Scholarship
The mission of Central Valley Center for Community Advocacy (CVCCA) states: “CVCCA is dedicated to providing low cost therapy and education to our community; including victims and perpetrators of child abuse, domestic violence, sexual abuse, and any other abusive situation with a focus on supporting safety through intervention.”
Aligned in purpose, the mission of the Stephanie Byars Memorial Scholarship states: “The Stephanie Byars Memorial Scholarship is dedicated to providing support to students in our community who have experienced emotional and/or physical challenges associated with a currently incarcerated parent; the challenges of being raised in a single parent home and who are seeking educational opportunities to serve the next generation of children.”
The Stephanie Byars Memorial Scholarship fund was established in April of 2015 following her death on February 1, 2015. Stephanie was an excellent, award winning, educator for 13 years, working her way through undergraduate and graduate schools tirelessly despite her battle with liver failure stemming from a blood transfusion at birth and prior to effective testing. Passionate and dedicated, she often collaborated with her colleagues from her hospital bed. Unable to have children of her own, Stephanie invested emotionally and academically in each student entering her 4th grade classroom. It was not unusual for students to cry on the last day of school because they had to leave her classroom. With Stephanie, it began and ended with the children. That is because she understood the personal struggle many school children face.
Stephanie spent her teens in a single parent home, working from the age of 14 to help with finances while attending honors classes in high school. Stephanie also loved her father deeply and worked diligently to provide emotional support for him while he was incarcerated.
Despite her valiant fight, Stephanie lost her battle with liver failure on February 1, 2015 and a scholarship was established in her name, with a focus on supporting children of an incarcerated parent who are being raised in a single parent home.
The Stephanie Byars Memorial Scholarship is an annual scholarship funded by contributions and fund raisers in the community with 100% of donations applied directly to the scholarship process. Contributions are tax deductible.
Amount of Scholarships:
Four $500 scholarships will be awarded annually. This scholarship is non-renewable and available to high school seniors in the San Joaquin Valley. Scholarships must be applied to educational expenses, including but not limited to books, tuition, transportation, clothing and other essential living expenses.
Qualifications for Scholarship:
- Must be a citizen of the United States of America;
- Must have a biological mother or father currently incarcerated;
- Must reside in the San Joaquin Valley;
- Must be entering a WASC accredited college (community or university) on a full time basis (12 units or more);
- Must be pursuing a career which impacts children, including but not limited to the fields of psychology, health, education and law enforcement;
- Must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale; for high school students entering college this is cumulative GPA for grades 9-11 and first semester of 12th grade.
- Must submit application and all required materials in single envelope by deadline date.
Scholarship application and requested materials must be received in the CVCCA office at 8807 Thornton Road, Suite M, Stockton, California 95209 by 4:00 p.m. Friday, April 29, 2016. No late entries will be considered.
- CVCCA will not acknowledge receipt of applications.If you want to verify that your application was received, send the application via Certified U.S. mail or any carrier that has tracking ability.
- Faxes are not accepted.
The following items are required to complete the application process. These items must be submitted in a single envelope in the order listed. All items received separately will be discarded. Any additional items will be discarded.
- Completed and signed application – Must be typed or printed (information must be legible).
- Essay (1 page minimum to 3 pages maximum).Must include:
- Education focus (Major);
- Career you are pursuing;
- Reasons for choosing this career path;
- A brief description of why you qualify for this scholarship;
- Other extenuating circumstances which have impacted your personal and/or academic life;
- How this scholarship will support your educational goals.
- 2 letters of recommendation. (one letter must be from teacher, counselor, or school office) Letters from family members or friends will not be accepted.
- High school transcript or written verification from school counselor or school office. Must be on school letterhead.
- Letter of acceptance from college of choice (if available).
- Resume of work/volunteer history (if available).
8007 Thornton, Suite M
Stockton, CA 95209
Attention: Stephanie Byars Memorial Scholarship Committee
Click Here For